Medical Weight Loss
The task of losing a lot of weight can be overwhelming, especially if you are trying to do it on your own. But you don’t have to with Baptist Health medical weight loss clinics.
You may have already tried several diets and exercise programs with little or no success. But that does not mean that you are out of options. At Baptist Health, not only are we your biggest cheerleaders, but we also have the expertise and the tools needed to help you become your healthiest you.
Even if you do not qualify for bariatric surgery, or don’t want to undergo it, our nonsurgical, medically supervised weight loss program is designed to help make your health goals a reality.
What Is Medical Weight Loss?
Medical weight loss is nonsurgical weight loss treatment that is supervised by a member of our clinical team (physician or nurse practitioner). If medical weight loss is right for you, here’s what to expect:
- Evaluation: We perform a comprehensive exam to learn more about your current health and weight loss goals.
- Personalized plan: We work with you to create a personalized nutrition and exercise plan.
- Follow up visits: You come back to meet with us weekly at first, then monthly. During these visits, we measure your progress and help you set new goals. We also give you encouragement and recommendations to help keep your weight loss on track.
- Medication: If you are not seeing results, we may prescribe medications to help curb your appetite. However, this is rarely necessary.
- Education and support: During every office visit, we give you tips and information to help you stay motivated and take control of your weight loss journey. You may learn about new foods, portion control and goal setting. If you ever have questions or need support, we are always happy to help.
Am I a Candidate for Medical Weight Loss?
Medical weight loss may be right for you if:
- You need to lose weight to qualify for bariatric surgery.
- You do not want to undergo bariatric surgery.
- Your health prevents you from undergoing bariatric surgery.
- Bariatric surgery is not covered by your insurance.
- You do not meet the weight or body mass index (BMI) requirements for surgery.
- Find out if bariatric surgery is right for you: Am I a Candidate?
Medical Weight Loss at Baptist Health in Kentucky and Indiana
In our program, we offer:
- Comprehensive care: Our medical weight loss team is made up of dietitians, exercise specialists, mental health professionals and other experts, all working together to create—and ultimately help you stick to—a weight loss plan designed for you.
- Premier facilities: Our patients have access to exercise and training facilities like our award-winning Baptist Health/Milestone Wellness Center in Louisville, where we offer classes for all fitness levels, including the center’s Learn to Exercise class.
- Personalized diet and exercise plans: We teach you how to adjust and change your current eating and physical activity habits to get you lasting results.
- Support every step of the way: Together, we help you implement the lifestyle changes needed to achieve and maintain your goals. We encourage all of our patients to contact us whenever they feel they have questions or need support.
- Access to advanced care: Baptist Health is the largest not-for-profit health system in Kentucky. This means our patients have access to the latest medical technology, modern facilities and many of the region's most prominent physicians and medical professionals.
What to Expect at Our Medical Weight Loss Clinic
Once you decide to enroll in the medical weight loss program, you’ll participate in a medical exam and regular appointments with a dietitian.
You can expect your doctor to:
- Order a laboratory screening.
- Perform a body composition evaluation.
- Calculate your metabolic rate.
- Discover your caloric needs.
- Identify health issues connected to your weight.
You can expect your dietitian to:
- Offer assessments of your nutrition.
- Provide counseling to meet your specific needs.
- Create a personalized weight loss program.
- Suggest food supplements.
- Help you plan your meals.
- Keep your doctor updated with your progress.
Next Steps with MyChart
Discover MyChart, a free patient portal that combines your Baptist Health medical records into one location. Schedule appointments, review lab results, financials, and more! If you have questions, give us a call.