Meet Our Team
Baptist Health is the only sports medicine program in Louisville providing the full spectrum of sports medicine care. Whether you are trying to overcome an old injury or hoping to prevent injuries, our team helps you achieve your athletic goals.
The Team at Baptist Health Sports Medicine Louisville
At Baptist Health, you have access to a large team of experts, including:
- Physicians who help most athletes bounce back from injuries without surgery. We offer treatments that are not widely available, including platelet-rich plasma therapy.
- Surgeons who perform advanced tests, such as arthroscopy of the shoulder or knee. Our surgeons also deliver treatments that provide lasting relief, such as repairing torn ligaments. Find out more about orthopedic services.
- Therapists, many of whom offer therapies that use the power of human touch to quickly relieve pain and loosen stiff muscles. Learn more about manual therapy.
- Athletic trainers who specialize in helping sports teams keep their athletes safe while competing in local sports leagues. Read more about athletic trainer coverage.
Highlights of our program include:
- Convenience: We offer same-day physician appointments. During the fall sports season, we also offer a Saturday walk-in clinic and make it easy for you to get care when you need it most. You can also make an appointment with our team of experts without a physician referral. New patients are always welcome. Read more information for new sports medicine patients.
- Services to help athletes perform their best: If you are part of a team, Baptist Health athletic trainer coverage can help your team stay safe at practice and during games. Learn more about our sports medicine services.
- Caring for professional athletes: Baptist Health is the official medical partner of Louisville City FC – our community’s first professional soccer team. We help the team stay healthy and strong so they can compete at the highest levels of their sport. Find out more about our partnership with Louisville City FC.
- A trusted source for sports medicine expertise: Physicians from outside Baptist Health refer their patients to our program. We offer specialized services that are not widely available, such as vestibular therapy, to help patients overcome complex injuries. Read more helpful information for referring physicians.
Meet Our Team of Sports Medicine Experts
The sports medicine team at Baptist Health delivers exceptional care and injury prevention services. Our physicians, therapists and trainers are in regular communication and have been working together for a long time. Their close partnership makes it easy to tailor treatments and services so you can achieve your goals.
Our team includes:
Primary care sports physicians
These physicians are orthopedists who specialize in non-surgical treatments for sports injuries. Our team meets weekly to discuss complex cases so we can coordinate the best possible care.
Meet our primary care sports physicians:
Doctor of osteopathy (DO) who specializes in sports injuries
A DO is a licensed physician who uses a whole person approach and delivers treatments by hand. This approach includes detecting subtle causes and complications of sports injuries, such as problems with tissue near the injury.
- Michael Hughes, DO
- Kathleen Naylor, DO
Our physical therapists use special exercises to relieve pain and improve functioning in injured muscles and joints. Many of our therapists have additional training and certifications in special types of therapy, such as therapy to treat hand injuries (hand therapy) and soft tissue massage.
Learn more about physical therapy.
Our athletic trainers all have National Athletic Trainers’ Association certification. This designation means we have attained the highest standards in preventing and caring for sports injuries.
Find out what parents and coaches are saying about our services: athletic training testimonials.
All of our orthopedic surgeons have completed additional training (fellowships) in sports medicine. Some of our surgeons also specialize in treating specific types of injuries, such as shoulder, knee or elbow problems.
For more information or to request an appointment, contact us or call 502.253.6699.
New patients are always welcome at Baptist Health. Read helpful information for new sports medicine patients and referring physicians.