Total Joint Replacement Classes for Baptist Health Lexington
At Baptist Health Lexington Orthopedics, we know that the best way to prepare a patient and family member/dedicated coach for hip and knee joint replacement is through open communication and providing the best information regarding how to prepare for the surgery, hospital stay and recovery phase.
Over the years, published research studies reveal patients who understand what is expected of them before and after surgery and highly involved with their individualized self-management training program (how you safely provide care for yourself at home) have the best clinical outcomes including: early ability to walk after surgery. These outcomes include early ambulation after surgery, improved pain management, decreased surgical site infections, decreased length of stay in the hospital and better patient satisfaction.
To support learning and preparation about your surgery, we offer three key online educational resources that are described below.
Virtual Online Joint Replacement Class Prepares You for Orthopedic Surgery
We understand that the idea of surgery can be intimidating. Our virtual online Joint Replacement Class explains what each patient can expect by watching or simply listening to the class by phone at your convenience. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Baptist Health Lexington Pre-Admission Testing at 859.260.6499. We strongly encourage your dedicated family member/coach to participate with you.
Preparing to Join the Class
- Prior to joining, please access/print and review the BHLEX Joint Replacement Book using the purple button below. Reviewing the book prior to class helps you better understand the content presented. Allow at least one day to review the book or as much time as needed.
- Dress in very comfortable clothes while participating in the class.
- Silence any alarms, phones or other sources of noise in your room.
- Check the audio on your device of choice and adjust volume to hear others
- You can use any device of your choice: cell phone, laptop, iPad, Kindle, desktop, etc.
- If you do not have the free Zoom application, go to https://zoom.us to download the app on your personal computer OR from the app store on your handheld device.
How to Join the Online Class? Offered every Thursday, 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Using the email sent to you from Baptist Health Lexington titled “Zoom Joint Replacement Class”, click on the link underneath titled “Join Zoom Meeting.” Please join the class approximately 15 minutes prior to 1:00 p.m. and follow the prompts on the screen that appears. This will allow you to watch and listen to the class.
- To protect your confidentiality, DO NOT sign in with your full name (list first or last name only).
- To join class and listen only from your smart phone, select the one tap option in the email provided. This automatically connects you to the audio of the class without dialing any numbers.
- Wait for the instructor to begin the class who usually joins about 5 minutes prior to start time.
- Once the class begins, you will only hear the instructor and see the screen. Please remain muted until otherwise instructed.
- Once the class is completed, 15 minutes is reserved for all participants to ask questions and receive answers.
- To receive credit for completing the class, click on the survey below: BHLEX Joint Replacement Learning Tools Survey.
If you do not own a computer or cell phone dial:
- +1 (253) 215-8782
- Meeting ID: 948 374 8196
- Password (if requested): 2020
How to Watch the Class using Online Videos
Many patients are unable to join the online Zoom class or call in and listen due to other conflicts. For your convenience, BHLEX provides the same online class using five different videos recorded by members of the orthopedic care team. Each video takes about 10-15 minutes to complete. These allow you the convenience to watch any time preferred and as many times necessary 24/7. The orthopedic care team encourages you to watch all five videos as soon as possible before surgery. This allows you to safely prepare for joint replacement surgery in a timely manner. Please note: Content provided in the online modules is identical to the online Zoom class offered every Thursday. Patients are encouraged to use one or both resources - whatever works best. The online class allows patients to ask questions which is very important.
Once you have watched all five videos, be sure to complete the BHLEX Joint Replacement Learning Tools Survey using the link provided in an email sent to you or below that takes you directly to the BHLEX Orthopedic website. Completing the survey provides credit for attending the regular class. Patients who completed the BHLEX Joint Replacement Class in the last 12 months for a previous surgery do not need to complete the class again.
Baptist Health Lexington webinars
Joint Replacement Book
Supporting the information from the virtual online joint class, Baptist Health Lexington provides 24/7 access to our Joint Replacement Book. For convenience, patients and their dedicated family member or coach can access, and print the book at any time.
We encourage reading all of the information as soon as you are scheduled for surgery. This allows you and your family member/coach to be more prepared prior to participating in the online class and resolve any questions. It is a good idea to print the book before class and take notes during the session.
The Joint Replacement Book provides an overview of the following topics:
- About Baptist Health Lexington Joint Replacement Programs
- Hip Replacement
- Knee Replacement
- Preparing for Surgery
- Day of Surgery
- After Surgery
- Rehab Services
DOWNLOAD The Joint Replacement Book
Download your copy of the Joint Replacement Book to learn more about the following programs: hip and knee replacements, preparing for surgery, day of and after surgery, rehabilitation services, discharge information and other resources.