What is Myelopathy?
Myelopathy, pathology of disorders of your spinal cord, may actually be one of many separate diagnoses, including:
- Spinal cord injury, usually due to trauma
- Myelitis, which is inflammation in your spinal cord
- Vascular myelopathy, which includes problems with your vascular system
Symptoms and Diagnosis of Myelopathy
Symptoms of myelopathy will depend on your exact diagnosis, where the problem is located on your spine and its severity. They may include:
- Weakness, muscle spasms or trouble holding things or walking
- Problems with your senses
- Loss of bladder, bowel or sexual function
Diagnosis of myelopathy also depends on the suspected cause and how stable your spine appears to be. Tests may include:
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan
- Computerized Tomography (CT) scan
Treatment of Myelopathy
Treatment of myelopathy also depends on the specific diagnosis. For some, this may involve surgical treatment to correct the underlying cause, while for others, it may involve medical therapy.
Next Steps with MyChart
Discover MyChart, a free patient portal that combines your Baptist Health medical records into one location. Schedule appointments, review lab results, financials, and more! If you have questions, give us a call.