Procedures and Treatments
At Baptist Health, we find the right weight loss solutions for each of our patients, including patients with complex needs. Whether you’ve gained weight after bariatric surgery or you’ve been told you don’t weigh enough to qualify for surgery, we can help.
No matter which diets or surgeries you’ve tried in the past, this time can be different. At Baptist Health, you have access to all of the latest treatments, as well as a dedicated care team that wants you to succeed.
Bariatric Surgery and Weight Loss Treatments: Expert Care at Baptist Health
You will receive the treatments that are just right for your medical needs and personal preferences. We also give you the support you need to achieve the best possible results. Our patients feel better about themselves, find freedom from health problems and get back to their favorite pastimes.
Other highlights of our program include:
- Innovative treatments: We are among the first programs in Kentucky offering new treatments, such as stomach intestinal pylorus sparing (SIPS) surgery. This treatment helps you absorb more nutrients from the foods you eat, lowering your risk for complications.
- Safety: All of our surgeons have completed advanced training (fellowships) in bariatric surgery. Through exclusive focus on bariatric surgery, they have earned reputations for attention to safety and excellent outcomes.
- Information to help you make good decisions: From understanding your treatment options to helping you live a healthy lifestyle after surgery, we help you take an active role in your care. We help you make decisions you feel good about by spending a lot of time explaining what to expect before, during and after surgery.
- Flexibility: We make it easy to get the care you need, even if you live hours away. You may be able to complete pre-surgical tests at a hospital in your community. We also make the most of your time when on-site office visits are necessary by coordinating multiple specialist visits in a single appointment.
Bariatric and Weight Loss Treatments We Perform
We are fully committed to making your treatment a success. We start by asking you about your goals and challenges so we can recommend the treatments that will best work for you.
Bariatric and weight loss treatments available at Baptist Health include:
Standard weight loss surgeries
We expertly deliver treatments with an established track record of helping people lose weight. Our surgeons perform all of our procedures laparoscopically. This approach means your treatment with us is always minimally invasive, involving tiny incisions and shorter recovery times.
These procedures include:
- Gastric sleeve: We remove the stretchy upper part of your stomach and create a small sleeve-shaped pouch. This pouch helps you feel full after small meals and is one of the ways this treatment helps you maintain a healthy weight for years to come.
- Lap-Band® surgery: During surgery, we secure the Lap Band device around the top part of the stomach. The Lap Band reduces the amount of food you can eat and helps you feel full longer. The Lap Band is adjustable to help meet your changing needs.
- Gastric bypass: First, we create a small pouch at the top of your stomach. This pouch is then separated from the lower part of the stomach. We then reroute your intestines so that food skips over or “bypasses” part of the digestion process. The pouch helps you eat less and the bypass helps you absorb fewer calories.
Advanced surgical weight loss treatments
Baptist Health offers all of the latest treatments, including newly approved treatments that are not widely available.
Advanced surgical treatments include:
- Stomach intestinal pylorus-sparing (SIPS) surgery: Similar to gastric bypass, we create a small stomach pouch and reroute your intestines. One important difference is that SIPS does not bypass the first part of the digestion process. SIPS helps you get more nutrients from the foods you eat and avoid complications like intense diarrhea.
- Gastric sleeve plication (also known as Laparoscopic Greater Curvature Plication or LGCP): We carefully fold up (plicate) the stretchy upper part of the stomach and secure it using surgical staples. The long sleeve-like pouch that’s left helps you feel full after eating smaller portions.
- Apollo OverStitch™: This incisionless procedure helps you get your weight loss back on track if your stomach pouch becomes stretched out after surgery. We use a special device to stitch your pouch back to its previous size.
- Lap Band revision surgery: If the Lap Band fails to help you lose weight, revision surgery can get your weight loss back on track. During revision surgery, we remove the Lap Band device. We replace it with a different bariatric treatment, such as gastric bypass or gastric sleeve.
Note: Not all surgery types are offered at every location. Please check with your physician for available procedure types.
How to Start Your Weight Loss Journey
Take the first steps toward a healthier, happier you by:
- Completing a new patient information packet so we can start getting to know you:
- Attending an optional in-person or online surgeon-led information seminar to learn more about your options.
Learn More About Treatments and Procedures:
- Apollo Overstitch Weight Loss Revision Surgery Locations Doctors
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Locations Doctors
- Gastric Sleeve Plication Locations Doctors
- Gastric Sleeve Surgery Locations Doctors
- Lap-band Surgery Locations Doctors
- Laparoscopic Greater Curvature Plication (LGCP) Locations Doctors
- SIPS Procedure Locations Doctors
- Medical Weight Loss Locations Doctors
- Revision Options Locations Doctors