Robotic Bariatric Surgery in New Albany, IN
Robot-assisted Bariatric Surgery
At Baptist Health Floyd, robot-assisted bariatric surgery uses advanced technology and skilled surgeons for effective and safe procedures.
Robot-assisted Bariatric Surgery in New Albany, IN, HealthTalks Transcript:
Lanny Gore, MD:
- [Dr. Gore] A person who would qualify for bariatric surgery would have a body mass index of 35 or greater and has some type of medical problem associated with obesity.
- [Sunshine] I have been overweight most of my life. All of the things that I had tried, none of them ever were sustainable and keeping the weight off for me. And that's why I chose weight loss surgery because I felt like it was my best option.
- Weight loss surgery has been around a long time. Over the last couple of years at Baptist Health Floyd, we now offer robotic surgery, and that is when we're taking laparoscopic surgery to the next level. I'm able to see a three-dimensional image instead of just a two-dimensional image, and that gives me depth perception. In operating those instruments with the help of a robot, it basically enhances every aspect of what I do.
- Watching Dr. Gore do the surgery with the Da Vinci machine and seeing how comfortable he was using it gave me confidence in him using the machine on me.
- What I find most rewarding about what I do is seeing patients come in after they've lost a lot of weight and now they're not on their blood pressure medicine anymore, they're not on their diabetes medicine anymore, seeing that impact on people's lives is rewarding for me.
- I feel fantastic. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. Bringing ION bronchoscopy to the community shows our commitment towards diagnosing lung cancer early on, detected early on, can be treated, and can have potential cure.