Joel Jackson, Director
Staff Chaplains: Joel Jackson, Rick Johnson, Jim Greenwell, PRN Chaplain, Ruthanne Cockrell, RN Nurse Navigator Congregational Network for Healthcare
At Baptist Health Paducah the Pastoral Care Staff's Mission Statement reflects its commitment and desire to minister in the hospital setting. It states: Pastoral Care is committed to assisting medical staff in helping patients and their caregivers cope and find spiritual hope as they recover from, adapt to, or find meaning in their medical crises.
Chaplains are available for pastoral care to patients, their families, staff and physicians. We make daily visits to newly admitted patients, follow up on referrals from the medical staff for pastoral care visits for patients, and respond to all "Code Blue" and "Rapid Response Team" events. We are available when called at the time of a patient's death.
The Pastoral Care Department offers Clinical Pastoral Training for volunteer chaplains who assist staff chaplains in their ministries. All phases of Pastoral Care are covered in the ten-week class sessions which are offered twice a year.The program is open to both clergy and laypersons.
The Baptist Health Paducah Pastoral Care staff aim to provide consistent and accessible care 24-hours a day, seven days a week. There are three staff chaplains, one nurse navigator and 35 volunteer chaplains dedicated to providing compassionate care.
The chapel at Baptist Health Paducah is located on the first floor across from the gift shop and is open 24 hours a day for staff and visitors to the hospital.
Some of the services offered:
- Daily public devotional and prayer
- New admission visits
- Compassionate, supportive care of patients, families, staff
- Follow-up on nursing and physician referrals
- Crisis and grief ministry
- Assistance in completing Advance Directives (Living Wills)and Advance Care Planning conversations
- Daily routine Pastoral Care and counseling in assigned units
- Liaison for patients to reach a minister of their faith
- Training for volunteer chaplains
- Availability 24/7 by staff and on-call chaplains
- Serve as members of Baptist Health Paducah committees, providing expertise in ethics, spiritual care and education
To contact the Pastoral Care Office, phone 270.575.2178 or dial 0 for the hospital operator and ask to speak to a chaplain.