Heart Failure Clinic in Paducah, KY
The Heart Failure Clinic
The Heart Failure Clinic in Paducah is designed to provide extra resources to patients to help them continue to improve their physical strength and well-being.
The Heart Failure Clinic in Paducah, KY, HealthTalks Transcript:
David T. Saxon, MD:
- [Dr. Saxon] Heart Failure is a condition where the heart is less efficient in pumping blood through the body. Baptist Health has focused on heart failure as a condition that often does keep people recurrently in the hospital. Our clinic is designed to provide extra resources to those patients to help them continue to improve and to continue to get better.
- [Ken] When I started coming here, I was at pretty much the depths of the disease. I didn't have enough wind to walk from one end of this room to the other hardly.
- [Laura] Mr. Ragan's first visit involved quite a bit of education. Throughout his course here in the clinic, we made some medication adjustments.
- There's a lot of medications that we need to start patients on. But also a lot of self-care strategies and the way to manage things like diet, and a lot of that entails education to really get people to know and understand what we're trying to do and how we're trying to help them and trying to accomplish their goals, which is trying to get better and have a better quality of life.
- As Mr. Ragan improved, his expressions, his personality, the smile on his face just continued to grow.
- I feel good. I feel able to take care of myself. It's a great feeling to be able to do that. When I started here, I didn't know if I had a lot of years left. But I think I'm going to have some quality years now.