Additional Assistance Opportunities

Medicaid and Kentucky Children's Health Insurance Program (KCHIP)

Medicaid and Kentucky Children's Health Insurance Program (KCHIP) are insurance programs provided by the state for individuals and families with low income.

You can apply for Medicaid or KCHIP at your local Department for Community Based Services (DCBS) Office. If you are unable to visit the office, you can call the DCBS office in your county to make other arrangements.

For detailed information on how to apply for Kentucky Medicaid and KCHIP, please visit the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services website.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal program designed to assist people who are 65 or older, blind, or disabled and have limited or no income. SSI provides cash assistance to help with basic needs such as food, clothing, and shelter. This assistance can also help cover hospital bills.

If you qualify for SSI, you may also be eligible for Medicaid. If you receive SSI and Medicare, the state will cover your Medicare premiums, copays, and deductibles.

For detailed information on SSI eligibility criteria and the application process, please visit the US Social Security Administration website.

DSH - State Assistance Program

The Disproportionate Share Hospital (DSH) program is a state assistance program for Kentucky residents who do not have any medical insurance coverage, either private or government-funded, and are not eligible for Medicaid. During the eligibility assessment, your financial and other family resources will be considered.

To apply for DSH, please call us or download an application.

Crime Victims Compensation Board

The Crime Victims Compensation Board is a state-funded assistance program for individuals facing serious financial hardships as a result of a crime that occurred in Kentucky. This program provides aid to those who have suffered bodily or psychological injury, death, or loss of financial support. The assistance can be used to cover hospital bills related to the crime.

For detailed information on eligibility requirements and the application process for this program, please visit the Kentucky Crime Victims Compensation Board website.

No Surprises Act

The No Surprises Act protects you from surprise medical bills or balance billing when you receive emergency care or treatment from an out-of-network provider at an in-network hospital or ambulatory surgical center.

What Is Balance Billing?

Balance billing -- sometimes called "surprise billing" -- occurs when you receive care from a healthcare provider or facility that is not in your health plan's network. The provider may bill you for the difference between what your plan agreed to pay and the full amount charged for a service. This is called "balance billing." The amount billed is often more than what you would pay for the same service in-network, and it may not count toward your annual out-of-pocket limit.

You are protected from balance billing for:

  • Emergency services. If you receive emergency services from an out-of-network provider or facility for an emergency medical condition, the provider can only bill you for your plan's in-network cost-sharing amount. This protection also applies to post-stabilization services, unless you provide written consent to waive it.
  • Certain services at an in-network hospital or ambulatory surgical center. Certain providers at an in-network facility, such as emergency medicine, anesthesia, and radiology services, may be out of network. In these cases, the providers cannot balance bill you, and they cannot ask you to waive your protection against balance billing.

You have the right to receive a "good faith estimate of charges" and are not required to waive your protection from balance billing or receive care out of network. If you believe you have been wrongly billed, you can contact the appropriate authorities for assistance.

For more information about your rights under the No Surprises Act, please use one of the following resources:

Indiana: If you believe you’ve been wrongly billed, you may contact the Indiana Department of Insurance at or by calling 317.232.8582.

Kentucky: If you think you’ve been wrongly billed, contact the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services at 800.985.3059

Visit for more information about your rights under federal law.

Learn More.