Urgent & Emergency Care for Pediatrics
When to See Us for Children's Health Issues
Unfortunately, children are as capable of serious medical conditions, including those requiring emergency care, as adults. At Baptist Health ER & Urgent Care we have on-staff pediatric physicians who specialize in the treatment of childhood injuries and disease. We understand the specialized types of care involved, as well as the often-sensitive psychological aspects, especially the need to put frightened children at ease during a visit to a place that is very different from home.
What Constitutes a Children's Health Emergency?
Symptoms of a potential life- or limb-threatening medical emergency in children include:
- Accidental poisoning
- Allergic reactions
- Animal bites
- Cuts or wounds
- Difficulty breathing
- Fainting or loss of consciousness
- Foreign object in the body
- Head injury
- High fever
- Insect stings
- Major physical injury
- Severe pain
- Spastic physical movement
- Sudden behavioral changes
- Turning blue.
How Do I Prepare for a Pediatric Emergency Room Visit?
Here are some steps you can take to prepare yourself and your child for a pediatric ER visit:
- Explain to your child what you’re about to do, reassuring him or her that you’ll remain on site during the visit
- Pack some books, toys, or electronic games to pass the time, in case there is a wait
- Bring a change of clothes
- Make sure you have your health-plan card or other proof of insurance
- Keep a list of your child’s regular medications with you
- Be familiar with your child’s medical history
- Provide contact information for the family pediatrician (if you have one).
Remember that, when receiving medical care, a child’s best advocate is his or her parent. Share with us any relevant details about your child’s condition and feel free to ask questions. Be assured that, at Baptist Health ER & Urgent Care, we will treat your child like one of our own.
Learn more about Baptist Health Pediatric Care or find a Pediatrician near you by visiting our Pediatric Care section.
Next Steps with MyChart
Discover MyChart, a free patient portal that combines your Baptist Health medical records into one location. Schedule appointments, review lab results, financials, and more! If you have questions, give us a call.