We will contact you prior to your surgery or procedure to compile a complete medical history. Please help us as much as possible by giving us complete information.
- If you are having anesthesia or I.V. sedation, you must have a responsible adult to drive you home after the procedure.
- Patients who are minors must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian, who must remain in the center.
- Legal guardians should bring documented proof of guardianship.
Before your procedure, you should follow these important safety rules. If not followed, your procedure may be delayed or canceled.
- DO NOT eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your procedure unless your doctor has instructed otherwise. This includes food, liquids, water, candy, chewing gum and tobacco. Serious complications may occur if these instructions are not followed.
- DO NOT smoke after midnight the day before your procedure.
- If you take daily medications (i.e., blood pressure, blood thinners, seizure or medication for diabetes), please contact your doctor two weeks before the procedure to determine if any medicines should be stopped prior to the procedure. If you were instructed by your doctor to take a medication the morning of surgery, take it with a small sip of water.
- Please notify your physician prior to your procedure if you are currently taking any herbal or weight loss supplements.
- Call your doctor if you develop a cold or any other type of infection prior to your procedure.
- Please notify your physician prior to your procedure if you have experienced any problems with Latex (rubber) products.
Day of your procedure
- Please bring your insurance cards, a photo ID (driver’s license) and any co-payments or deposits.
- Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing.
- Leave all jewelry and other valuables at home.
- Dentures, hearing aids, glasses and contact lenses must be removed before your procedure. Bring appropriate storage containers.
- Bring an accurate list of medications and dosage and how often taken daily.
- You may want to put a pillow and blanket in the car to help relax on the way home.
- Do not wear skin lotion or nail polish.
- You must have an adult drive to take you home in order to be discharged from the surgery center. All rides will be confirmed prior to your procedure.
Surgery patients only
- You must have someone stay with you for 24 hours after surgery.
- If your child is having surgery, feel free to bring along a favorite toy or blanket. In addition, bring extra diapers, a change of clothes, formula or other special food that your child may need after surgery.
Endoscopy/Colonoscopy patients only
- You must have someone stay with you for the rest of the day.
- You will receive specific instructions from your doctor regarding laxative preparation for a colonoscopy. If you have vomiting from the preparation, call your doctor to receive further instructions concerning the preparation.
- Your doctor will also advise you of special diet instructions.
After your procedure
You will be given specific written instructions regarding your post-operative care. Before you leave the center, for your comfort and safety, please remember the following:
- Do not drive, operate machinery, drink alcoholic beverages or take any non-prescription medications for at least 24 hours.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions regarding diet, rest and medication.
- It is normal to experience some post-operative discomfort in the area of the procedure. Drowsiness and dizziness are also normal, depending on the type of anesthesia you receive and the amount of pain medication you are taking.
- If you have questions or feel you are having problems, contact your doctor through his or her office.
- The next business day following your procedure, you may be contacted by a staff member to see how you are doing.
- Please make certain that we have a convenient phone number to reach you.