7 Tips on How to Stress Less This Weekend
When Friday evening rolls around, you breathe a sigh of relief. The work week is finally over, you can relax. But for many of us, the weekend can be just as stressful. There are errands to run, chores to do and people to see. Here are some tips to lower your stress levels this weekend:
- Get things done early. Friday evening you’re still in work mode, which makes doing chores easier and less painful. Check one thing off your to-do list, such as grocery shopping, laundry or running errands. You’ll wake up Saturday more relaxed.
- Don’t overbook. Is your weekend jam-packed with activities? Having too much on your plate can leave you feeling stressed. Think about what you will and won’t be able to attend so you won’t feel obligated to show up somewhere when you would rather be home resting.
- Limit alcohol. While a couple of beers or glasses of wine after a hard week might help you relax, alcohol can contribute to feelings of depression and anxiety and make stress harder to deal with. Drink less or avoid alcohol altogether.
- Have fun at home. You don’t have to go out or get away to have a relaxing weekend. You can simply stay at home, cook dinner and enjoy a movie in your living room. Sit back, unwind and relax.
- Push the off button. Turn off your phone and all social networks. You don’t need to be online all the time or check emails several times a day on Saturday and Sunday. At first it may feel strange, but as you get accustomed to it, you’ll love it.
- Eat right. Make sure you have plenty of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Fruits and vegetables are loaded with nutrients that help your body deal with stress. Fish with high levels of omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to reduce the symptoms of stress.
- Break a sweat. Exercise sparks the release of feel-good endorphins, which can reduce stress levels. Hit the gym or trails. Take a bicycle ride or a Sunday-night dance class with your partner. You’ll close your weekend energized and ready to tackle the week.