Baptist Health Louisville Completes Expansion and Renovation of Emergency Department
June 13, 2018
Baptist Health Louisville is completing a major expansion of the Emergency Department with patient, staff and physician satisfaction at the heart of the plan.Baptist Health Louisville is completing a major expansion of the Emergency Department with patient, staff and physician satisfaction at the heart of the plan. The nearly $18.7 million investment included renovation, reconfiguring and expanding the Emergency Department to meet the following goals:
• Increase capacity and maximize patient throughput
• Enhance patient privacy and the overall patient experience
• Minimize the need for Emergency Medical Services (EMS) diversion
• Improve the work environment for Emergency Department staff and physicians
To ensure the above goals were met, the hospital engaged CBRE Healthcare, a facility planning company that organized planning sessions with key internal stakeholders including staff, physicians, construction management, administration, planning and finance. Focus groups were held to gather patient input and additional information was pulled from real time rounding reports in the ED waiting areas performed by Press Ganey® consultants.
Key project facts:
• Addition of 9,278 sq. ft. of space, increasing it to 31,000 total sq. ft.
• Increasing number of treatment rooms from 32 to 44 that will support treatment of up to 178 patients per day.
• All-private treatment rooms with more accommodations for family members to be with their loved ones.
• Six new ambulance bays will be added (for a total of 10) with more streamlined ambulance access and a more efficient process for walk-in patients and EMS arrivals.
• Enhanced patient experience by providing more family-friendly waiting areas that include technology charging stations.
The design was created by Stengel Hill Architecture and construction began the first of June, 2016 and will fully open to the community on June 19, 2018.